TWITTER HAS DONE WRONG BY SUSPENDING PAYAL ROHATGI’S ACCOUNT
Who is Payal Rohatgi?
Payal Rohatgi is an Indian Actress and a performer in reality TV and she is seen in many Bollywood movies. She was born in Hyderabad, Telangana on 9thNovember 1984. In 2008, she has been a contestant in the reality show ‘Big Boss’. She is also known for making controversial remarks and because of her outspoken nature.
In 2015, she was also seen with her fiancé wrestler Sangram Singhin the dance reality show Nach Baliye in Star plus.
She is also the brand ambassador of International Human Rights Organisation (IHRO), an Indian NGO from New Delhi, and is a part of the campaign Aware India for Health and Education.
She started her career by taking part in the Femina Miss India pageant together with Priyanka Chopra Jonas, Dia Mirza, and Lara Dutta. She also represented India as ‘Miss India Tourism’ in ‘Miss Tourism World’ pageant internationally. She won the title of ‘Supermodel Miss Tourism World’ there. She has modeled for popular brands like Amul, Nirma, Nescafe, Dabur Hair Oil to name a few.
In 2014, she made her television debut on the show Humsafars in Sony TV.
Payal Rohatgi’s Twitter account was suspended on the morning of July 8, 2020. She shared the news of the sudden suspension on her Instagram- through a screenshot and a video. She urged her fans to help her restore the account.
The actress is quite active on social media and she is bold enough to keep her views upfront. She asked her fans to question ‘Twitter India’ to find out why her account has been suspended that too, without any prior notice in the form of email.
She claimed that she never uses abusive language on social media and has always shared facts with the people. She stated that her very attempt to bring to light the facts has been projected in bad light by liberals and extremists who actually control Twitter.
Soon thereafter, social media users started trending #BringBackPayal on Twitter. This is not the first time that her account has been suspended, it was also suspended in the month of June for almost a week.
CONTROVERSIES IN WHICH SHE HAS BEEN INVOLVED
- In December 2019, she was detained by the Rajasthan Police in a case relating to alleged objectionable content against the Nehru-Gandhi family on social media (Facebook).
- She claimed that Jawaharlal Nehru, the first prime minister of India was not the legitimate son of Motilal Nehru but was born out of an illicit relationship of Kamla Nehru with another man and that Motilal Nehru had five wives. She had to stay in Judicial Custody for 9 days due to her remark, although she was released on bail later on.
- On the demise of Late Sushant Singh Rajput, she called out his psychiatrist claiming that he (psychiatrist) diagnoses people with bipolar disorder.
- She communalized the ‘Hyderabad gang rape’ in 2019 and so she was locked from Twitter for a week by the Mumbai police but later on, they unblocked her as the Chief Minister’s wife, Amruta Fadnavis supported her.
- On the Kerala Floods of 2018, she claimed that it was the wrath of God due to cow slaughter. Her remarks were found to be ‘insensitive’.
- In 2012, she alleged sexual harassment by two directors-‘Dibakar Banerjee’ and ‘Anurag Kashyap’.
- On Zaira Wasim’s decision to leave Bollywood, she commented on inequality in Islam. A complaint was also lodged against her in the police station.
- She is also called the 19th-century social reformer- Raja Ram Mohan Roy as a ‘traitor’ and lackey of British and also accused him of defaming the tradition of Sati. She seems to glorify the tradition of Sati (burning oneself alive on the death of husband) calling it an act of self-respect to evade rape by Islamic invaders. Hindol Sengupta and Sanjeev Sanyalpresented a balanced view on her remarks but the Secretary of Raja Ram Mohan Roy Museum said that she doesn’t know anything about him.
- In June 2019, she claimed that Maratha ruler Shivaji was born in shudra varna and later moved up in caste hierarchy.NCP leader lodged a complaint against her, on her remarks. Later she apologized over Twitter through a video.
Many have alleged Payal Rohatgi of getting involved in fake controversies just for the sake of publicity. Critics say that this kind of publicity stunt is done by her because she is not getting famous for her movies. Whatever be the case and the controversies she has been involved with, the fact that a twitter account is suspended without prior notice is not in any way justified. We should raise our voice for this particular issue of not providing notice beforehand and then suspending an account. This can happen to anyone and one can lose all the followers, just like that.